Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Travel Practice


About once a month I travel. When it is for work, I often have some time for solitude, and am able to sit more often then I can at home. But I miss my family (still working on attachment...). I have found that planes are ideal for zazen: the drone of the engine, no pagers, cell phones, or e-mail. A flying monastic retreat. For sitting in the hotel, I have a great inflatable cushion, which is really a beachball in a zafu cover (no kidding!). But when I travel with family, finding a time and place to do zazen is almost impossible, even with a beachball zafu. After coming home, it takes several days to get back into my schedule. The balance is not easy.

NOTE:  See my more recent post for how to make your own travel zafu.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Where did you get your travel zafu?

Nikkolai said...

Go to the site: Inflatable Travel Zafu

You can also make your own by ordering a zafu cover without filling and buying an beachball. Both work well, and you can deflate the zafu for packing. Harder to deal with is a mat to sit on. Usually I just take what is given....comforter, cushion from a chair, or even simply the carpet in the hotel room. Finding a local zendo to sit in can be tricky, but many zendos will accommodate visitors. Call ahead to get the dress code, sitting times, and local customs.