Sunday, December 16, 2007

Snow

The family is house-bound today with the heavy snow, making it hard to find any space/time for zazen. The house is small, and we use every room. Besides, I always feel a bit guilty sitting when the kids are awake and want time.

I slept in this morning, and by the time I was awake, so were the kids. Waffles and toast replaced zafu and mu. I know that mu is not separate from waffles and toast, but I have not seen this with my mind's eye. Nevertheless, householder practice is punctuated by such interruptions. Siddhartha Guatama took leave of his family to search for enlightenment, leaving such disturbances behind. He never returned. Sometimes I wonder if a practice founded on such a base can possibly succeed for a householder. Must leave-taking precede insight?

Contrast the monastic approach with that of the householder Dipa Ma, a householder, mother, and Buddhist teacher/master.

1 comment:

Chris Lane said...

Family is not other than practice. Watch yourself as your family eats waffles and toast. Zen waffle making? Just stir. Just serve. The ego does not nourish the
family, what is it that does? I haven't read a rinzai parenting as practice book, perhaps ti can write one. This is an
excellent Soto
book on such a topic. Time is so short in modern industrial child rearing.