Thursday, January 15, 2009

Sesshin



"Even as night darkens the green earth, the wheel turns.
Death follows birth.
Strive as you sleep with every breath,
that you may wake past day, past death !"

Sesshin was bone-chilling cold. Makes you want to crawl into yourself and hibernate in zazen. I wonder if Bodhidharma's cave was in a place that had decent weather. A week is a long time to be away from family. I suspect that few of us householders with families have the luxury of attending a long sesshin more than occasionally, if at all. Zen, with its roots in monastic practice, is not an easy path for householders. Yet, this is where I am, in this very house, with this family, and this practice. Tonight, I am happy to be home, and to be more fully present for my family. Re-charged, I am resolute in finding a way to make my householder practice work better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your blog. I've recently re-started zazen after a seven year hiatus and find your blog a source of encouragement.

Nikkolai said...

You are welcome, my dharma friend! Your note is heat-warming, as sometimes I wonder if this of help to anyone aside from me. I am happy that you find support and encouragement in these simple pages. May your re-entry into zazen bring you a heart of stillness.

Deep Bow,
Nikko