Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Righting the boat


I capsized my practice recently, just tipped right over and fell out. I got to a point where I came up against a wall, and then just flipped the boat. Ten thousand things crashed in, and I went below water. All of the old coping strategies were sampled, once again clinging desperately to old habits, although I knew they would fail. They did not disappoint. This morning in the zendo, I came up for air, righted the boat, and got back to zazen. Boat, water, air....mu!

2 comments:

Chris Lane said...

Isn't it interesting how different doing the wrong thing is when you know it as the wrong thing at (or close to :-) the time? So different from believing that one deserves whatever break from the path one is craving.

--Chris

Nikko said...

A deep bow.

Behind the craving, no mind
Delusion masquerades as choice
Be present!

Nikko